Monday, June 27, 2011

Life is great.

I had a moment this morning. One of those really good moments.

It is my day off, the sun is shining and I'm up early. And that is how I like it. My daughter Nicole and my Girlfriend Janice are still sleeping. I spent the morning, as usual drinking too much coffee but, sitting outside in my pajamas (something I never do) with my camera.

The smell of the forest (can I call it that?) is just beautiful. I sat there enjoying watching the squirrels chase one another. The photo I chose to post with this is a squirrel being taunted by my neighbors cat. The beautiful white one that has lost its tail for some unknown reason. I can always tell when the squirrels are being disturbed by the cats around here because of the noise they make.

Also, I sat there watching the birds singing away celebrating another day. Most likely, just as I am also very happy the sun is finally shining.

I was watching everything really because there is so much to see. Especially when you rise up early to witness all that every morning has to offer. The people who live on the other side of me, (not the ones with the white cat), must think I am very patient. I know they know I love my photography. But, when they are at their kitchen window and see me (sometimes for an hour or more) crouched with my coffee and camera on my deck stairs I wonder what they think. I am waiting for the hummingbirds. I am fascinated by all birds, but the cardinals and hummingbirds are my favorite. And if I have to wait all night for that one great shot, I'll do it.

The moment I had? I'm lucky. That's all there is to it. It's so peaceful here and there is nature all around me. It's not a fancy house out in the country, but it is what I have and its great.

I always grin when Janice comes over. Especially when she uses the bathroom. It's tiny. And, most of all, where I live? It sometimes really is like camping.

When I woke up this morning, after having a shower I put on a t-shirt with my pj bottoms and headed outside. There I was with my coffee and camera bare feet walking in the morning grass soaked with dew. Some people I would imagine would cringe at the thought of it but I love it. And as soon as I heard those birds singing and I could smell the trees I was in heaven.

Last night, just before bed Nicole and I were out on the deck. It was around midnight and the stars out here were amazingly brilliant. We talked about the Big Dipper and wondered why they were always and always have been there like that? So, Nicole sent my buddy Dave a message on facebook asking him why that is. He's rather brilliant just like those stars and knows a hell of a lot about science, technology and the universe. He is always the one to ask a question like that. That's for sure.

I should have put my shorts on earlier. I don't want to go into my room and disturb Janice. She likes to sleep in, not only on her days off, but, its her holidays now and honestly? I don't blame her one bit. But, I could have headed out to the store to pick up those clear bags I need.

I approached someone who lives down the road last week about a mountain (almost) of mulch they have sitting in their front yard. I need some for my gardens and I thought it handy if possibly I could get some them being just down the road. I don't have a truck, so it would have to come in multiple loads. I offered money for it, but the kind woman said that wasn't necessary and that I could take half of what is there. I won't nearly need that much, but I am thankful and that is one job I really want to get done today. Then we have to look into Nicole's car that Janice gave her. We need to find out what we need to do to get that underway. Then, its off to the beach.

Yes, Life is Good.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean when you talk about those perfect, lucky moments. They seem to happen in the morning most of the time don't they? They do for me.
    At the house that I just moved in to, there are a lot of red-winged black birds and a couple of cardinals that like to chase each other off defending their respective territories. The cardinals are always my favourite and I tend to root for them. I just love their call. There used to always be one outside my window growing up, it seemed, and the sound reminds me of those times. Fills me with comfort.
    Now, one is hanging around outside my baby girl's window. You are right. Life IS good!
    Cheers Gary!

    ReplyDelete